So I have validation code for my user password ($password) in my model
to be 6-20 characters, but I am doing sha1($password) on my password
before it gets passed into the $this->User->save() operation, so it
always bypasses the validation requirement (since sha1 creates a
really big string).

How do I sha1 my stuff right before it gets saved in the model?

Ideally I'd like to pass my unencrypted password strings, then sha1
them right before the save, instead of sha1'ing them in my controller
first.

Where does this kind of code belong?

danke