Thank you Dardo!

So I started again from the beginning with my real aplication.
I can finally see my login screen, but get the error message:
"Login failed. Invalid username or password."

What I already did:
* encrypted my password in the database with sha1 instead of md5, which was my
method of choice before.
* the password field in the db is varchar(40) and like my whole appilcation
utf8_unicode_ci
* my user is in the admin group
* also in the aro table my user has the admin group as parent_id
* the only entry in my aros_acos table specifies that admins are allowed to see
every action in all controllers
* the login      uses its own layout:
        function login() {
                $this->layout = 'login';