George, what Cake version do you use?

I tried your "posts" test with table replacing (to "users" one in my
case) and it was fine. Debug outputed Post::$useTable = "users" etc.
Test with $useTable = false also was fine.

Do you use hacked core or some automagic components/AppModel/
AppController or any other part of you code can take effect?

BTW, Cake 1.2 finally released. No more beta on production!