If you put the data into the array before you do your save, Cake does
the magic under the covers to figure out if the record exists already
or not.

When you do the "save", Cake does a lookup to figure out if the
request needs to be an insert or delete (assuming you have the
constraints set properly).

I would expect that whether you can take advantage of this is entirely
dependent on the data you are getting sent. If your customer
information includes a unique key, then you should be able to use that
as your ID, and Cake will automagically do an insert or update. If it
doesn't give you a primary key, you'll need to do a lookup and figure
out if you want to do the insert yourself anyway.