Everyone has reasons for and against various technologies.
Thankfully, CakePHP provides you a complete fantastic framework without
limiting you to something as specific as only being able to use xhtml.

You should be able to extend the html helper for all (most?) the tags
you want to produce.
Perhaps create a html4 helper:

App::import('Helper', 'Html');
class Html4Helper extends HtmlHelper {
    // Implement code here, maybe sometimes as simple as replacing $tags
values.
}

Good luck with it.
If you do create something that you feel does the job, submit an article
to the bakery, and share your helper with the community!

Cheers,
Graham (Predominant)