Hi Bjorn,

I experienced similar strange behavior, when I didn't log out before
logging in again.
If $this->Session->read('Auth.User.id') is still valid,
the login-action seems not to be performed, because it's not
necessary. Same happens then to the redirect.
Be sure to destroy all sessions and cookies within your logout-method
before login. That's the way I got it working.

Or set $this->Auth->autoRedirect = false      in appController, and in
our login-action insert the following:

if($this->Session->read('Auth.User.id')) {
                        $this->redirect('/users/index');
}

This redirects the request without doing the login, whenever a valid
Auth.session is found.
And put the remainig login-action  behind an else-clause...

if($this->Auth->login($this->data)) {
                       $this->redirect( $this->Auth->redirect);
}

That's what I am thinking... hope it's helpful.

Regards,
Hendrik.