Hello!

I'm looking to use jQuery with Cake, specifically with a form.  My
plan was to use a DatePicker  (http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Datepicker)
control instead of the default datetime drop-down menus, but it looks
like the easy approach (give the datetime div an id that jQuery's
DatePicker automagically replaces) doesn't seem to work.
Specifically, jQuery doesn't replace the Cake form elements (nevermind
stuff like feeding back into Cake's validation logic).  Also, I don't
want to use AJAX, just the UI control to make my otherwise normal form
easier to use.

I was thinking about hacking together some sort of custom, hidden form
elements to convey the datetime back to Cake, putting the DatePicker
on the page, and then having code in the 'onSubmit' to extract the
relevant info & stuff them into the hidden fields.  I got as far as
realizing that I'd need more code to auto-populate the control, plus
the uncertainty that Cake would actually use this info (even if I
named the form elements identically to the normal datetime stuff), and
realized how dodge-y this all sounded :)

So instead of throwing a lot of time into that first up, I wanted to
instead ask if there's a reasonable approach to this.  I *think* what
I want to do is replace a standard Cake $form->input field with my
own, but still have the auto-populate (and auto-validate) logic work.

Any ideas on ways to approach this would be appreciated.

Authoritative responses like "There's no way to do this without
rewriting parts of Cake/vast amounts of your own code" are also
appreciated (I'd rather find out this isn't possible & try something
else, instead of throwing tons of time into it and find that out on my
own :)  ).

Thanks!
--Mike