That solution works for both inbound and outbound although it's used
primarily for inbound on my network. I use PRI T1s for the bulk of my
outbound traffic.

I've been down the t38modem road and I've ended up with the same results
you have. OPAL never compiles and that's where I'm stuck. Please let me
know if you find a way around this. :-) I'd be very interested to retest
it again. I've tried building on Debian 4.x/5.x as well as CentOS 5.x.

To use t38modem, you'd still need some sort of softswitch that
'understands' the T.38 format. This would include Callweaver and
Asterisk 1.6.x.

--Tim