On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 10:25:18PM -0500, Tim Nelson wrote:
> Hello all- **
>
> [...]
>
> What is the status of Callweaver? I see there has been progressive
> development, or at least recent 'changesets' [1] to the codebase(stopped
> Feb 14th, Valentines day related? :-) ),

Holiday and offline development related.

> but a release has not been made
> since nearly a year ago. Checking the milestones [2], the project seems
> to be severely behind 'schedule'.

Although a lot of those "next version" tickets are pretty vague "ideas"
that people have had but no one really cares about.

> While not a problem in and of itself,
> it would be nice to know what the roadblocks are to the project's
> development. Is it manpower, funding, equipment, etc?

All three :-). For me callweaver is just how I keep my coding skills
sharpened (and asterisk-derived code needs a razor sharp... machete...
at times :-) ). It's spare time, non-comp. "work". I'd be happy to do
more focused work if anybody cared about anything in particular.

> I primarily use Callweaver in a T.38 fax role as I believe many others
> do as well. The general 'rule' that appears to be floating around the
> VoIP/open source telephony arena is "If you need a softswitch PBX, use
> Asterisk unless you need good T.38 support integrated, then use
> Callweaver.". Well, with Asterisk 1.6 and heavy development of T.38
> support/compatibility, it appears Callweaver may be falling into less
> and less relevance. While I understand there are more advantages[3] to
> Callweaver than simply T.38 (cross platform support, timing dependency
> changes, performance, virtualization operation), many others do not
> understand this. I'd really hate to see a project like Callweaver die or
> slip into 'unconsciousness'.

Asterisk has added lots of "stuff" in the last few years. Some of it
good, some of it maybe not so. I'd go back to * but I really object to
signing my work over to them gratis, I dislike much of the code anyway
and I'm not much of a fan of their mailing lists. I'd go to FreeSwitch
but for inertia and a dislike of (arguably) inappropriate XML. And
Callweaver does what _I_ need (see above).

> On a final note (to the devs), please accept my gratitude and thanks for
> Callweaver. I use it extensively in my systems for both business,
> personal, and development roles and your hard work is appreciated. I am
> in no way trying to 'call you out' to get information on Callweaver.
> This is not a "where are the lazy guys who aren't getting anything done
> with Callweaver" type inquiry. I'm honestly looking for some insight
> into the current status and depending on project needs, I may be able to
> provide resources to help Callweaver along.
>
> --Tim
>
> ** - Crossposted to -users and -dev
> [1] http://www.callweaver.org/changesets
> [2] http://www.callweaver.org/milestones
> [3] http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/OpenPBX.org%20FAQ

Mike

--
Mike Jagdis                        Web: http://www.eris-associates.co.uk
Eris Associates Limited            Tel: +44 7780 608 368