At 9:12 AM -0500 on 3/9/06, Michael Watson wrote:

.webloc files aren't resource-fork based. I know, 'cause I wrote a .url->.webloc converter in the shell a while back:

http://bbs.applescript.net/viewtopic.php?pid=52733#p52733

cheers. :-)

Prior to 10.4, they were resource fork-based. I've actually written a quick-and-dirty converter droplet (based on a tip I saw at MacOSXHints) to go in the webloc->url direction, for the one time I've ever wanted to make some of my weblocs accessible to Windows-using colleagues. Both my webloc2url and url2webloc droplets are here: <http://www.mindspring.com/~alqahira/Webloc-URL_scripts.zip> (Of course, Camino handles .url files, so there's little need for the second unless you just want to banish .url files from your Mac.)

Perhaps that will be useful to the OP--and it will be significantly easier than getting Apple to rewrite the Finder ;)

Smokey
--
Smokey Ardisson
Graduate Student in Middle Eastern and African History