On Saturday 10 May 2008 22:39:33 Charles Forsyth wrote:
> >2. How do we avoid excessive copying? What if each parallel thread only
> >requires part of a data structure, should we dissect the data structure to
> >alleviate message passing?
>
> this seems to suggest that message passing implies serialising the data
> structure. perhaps i missed something, though.

Copying is the obvious solution in OCaml because there is no easy way to share
OCaml values between processes.

There are alternatives (like referencing shared memory as custom blocks and
managing deallocation manually) but they are substantially more complicated
and it is not clear whether or not they will be faster in OCaml because
indirection is required to disambiguate the heaps for the GC and prevent it
from traversing the shared memory.