On Oct 17, 2008, at 5:59 AM, David Allsopp wrote:

Pleased to say that I've got my 3 current projects compiled and running
under 3.11+beta1

Unfortunately for one of the projects, its "reference" run (a
computationally intensive, repeatable operation the speed of which interests me) has gone from repeatedly taking ~38 seconds in 3.10.2 to ~46 seconds in 3.11.0+beta1. The other two projects don't have as easy a way for me to calibrate speed (they spend most of their time blocked on I/O anyway!).

Has anything apart from the linker changed much in the 3.11 code generator
and has anyone else noticed a performance drop in any other programs?

The Changes list do mention a number of important changes in the runtime system.

For most of my programs the bottleneck functions are implemented in C. For one of the few cases where OCaml is taking care of the core loop, ocaml 3.11.0beta1 produce a consistently slower native executable than 3.10.2 by a very small factor (around 0.5%). I have not timed in Windows, and I run Windows inside a virtual machine, so I'm not sure if the differences I will observe there are just an artifact of that setup.

Andres

My setup:

    System Software Overview:

      System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
      Kernel Version: Darwin 9.5.0
      XCode: 3.1.1

    Hardware Overview:

      Model Name: Mac Pro
      Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
      Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
      Processor Speed: 3 GHz
      Number Of Processors: 2
      Total Number Of Cores: 8
      L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
      Memory: 16 GB
      Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

David

(Machine setup: Windows XP SP3 + MinGW/gcc 3.4.4 running on an Intel Core
Duo T7200 @ 2GHz with 2GB RAM)