On Sep 1, 2009, at 12:32 PM, John Whitington wrote:

Hi Folks,

Has anyone managed this? Bytecode seems fine, native not so.

I've tried just ./configure and ./configure -cc "gcc -m64" with the source bzip of 3.11.1 as suggested in INSTALL. Both compile fine, but give:

feast:trunk john$ ocamlopt -c a.ml
feast:trunk john$ ocamlopt -o a a.cmx
ld: warning: in libasmrun.a, file is not of required architecture
Undefined symbols:
 "_caml_ml_set_binary_mode", referenced from:
     .L139 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
     .L157 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
     _camlPervasives__102 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
     _camlPervasives__102 in stdlib.a(pervasives.o)
... (several hundred more lines)

This is with XCode 3.2 64-bit (from the Snow Leopard DVD), the gcc is i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1.

lipo -info libasmrun.a gives:
input file /usr/local/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a is not a fat file
Non-fat file: /usr/local/lib/ocaml/libasmrun.a is architecture: x86_64

One possibly-salient error from the build:
ld: warning: -read_only_relocs cannot be used with x86_64

Configure log: http://www.coherentpdf.com/configure.txt
make world.opt log: http://www.coherentpdf.com/build.txt

I just installed Snow Leopard in my laptop and the x86_64 ocaml appears to work fine. I noticed that in your configure log the gcc compiler is still listed at the end as 'gcc', while in mine it is 'gcc -m64'. Perhaps you need to cleanup with 'make distclean' and reconfigure before compiling the x86_64 target?

Another question: Can I build a version of OCaml from these sources which isn't 64-bit so I can build code which will run on 10.5/10.4?

Previous versions of gcc in Mac OS X allowed you to pass the -mmacosx- version-min=10.4 option to target the minimum API that you wanted to support. I suppose this still works with the gcc 4.2.1 included in XCode 3.2, but haven't tried it yet.

Andres

Cheers,

--
John Whitington