Hello,

First, you really need strong tyupe checking because your definition is actually
incorrect.

Second, see polymorphic-recursion :
http://alaska-kamtchatka.blogspot.com/2009/05/polymorphic-recursion.html

Be sure to read the comments by bluestorm.

There is also pa_polyrec, a syntax extension for polymorphic recursion in OCaml
:
http://www.mail-archive.com/caml-list@yquem.inria.fr/msg04795.html

Finally, here is your (corrected) code using vanilla ocaml :

type map =
  { map : 'a 'b. ('a -> 'b) -> 'a t -> 'b t }
let map =
  let rec map =
    { map = fun f -> function
    | E -> E
    | D (t1, t2) -> D (map.map f t1, map.map f t2)
    | O a -> O (f a)
    | I tt -> I (map.map (map.map f) tt)
    }
  in map.map