Can you cite any papers from this century? ;-)

Cheers,

Jon.

From: Eray Ozkural [mailto:examach...@gmail.com]
Sent: 17 November 2010 13:41
To: Eray Ozkural; Jon Harrop; caml-list@yquem.inria.fr
Subject: Re: [Caml-list] SMP multithreading

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Gabriel Kerneis <kern...@pps.jussieu.fr>
wrote:

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 06:27:14AM +0200, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> As I said even in C good results can be achieved, I've seen that, so I
> know it's doable with ocaml, just a difficult kind of compiler. The
> functional features would expose more concurrency.

Could you share a pointer to a paper describing this compiler?

I can't reveal much, but just to point out that there are indeed more
sophisticated compilers than gcc:
http://www.research.ibm.com/vliw/compiler.html

So, uh, there are compilers that turn loops into threads, and also
parallelize independent blocks.... Both coarse-grain and fine-grain
parallelization strategies in existing compiler research can be effectively
applied to the multi-core architectures. In fact, some of the more advanced
compilers (like that of the RAW architecture) must be able to target it
already, but who knows. :) Just consider that most of the parallelization
technology is language independent, they can be applied to any imperative
language. So, would such a thing be able to work on ocaml generated
binaries? Most definitely, I believe, it is in principle possible to start
from the sequential binary and emit parallel code!

Best,

--
Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara