Boxing and generics with type erasure making it difficult or impossible to
reduce the density of references in the heap. Structs and reified generics‎
can give huge performance improvements. Hash tables and complex arithmetic
are some examples where I often see F# running 5-20× faster than idiomatic
OCaml/Java code.

Cheers,
Jon.