Here was my mistake:

I thought that in order for setting the model attribute data like so:

common_attributes = {title: input.title, ..., general_remark: input.general_remark}

I have to explicitly state the input tag in the form like so:

input textarea @reviewform.general_remark, rows: 5, name: 'general_remark'

and this produced the error about tag not allowing the content.

3. Otherwise, I used it like so:

input type: 'textarea', name: 'suggestions_reviewer_comments', value: @reviewform.suggestions_reviewer_comments

And this didn't produce any errors, but on the other hand the field in the form had the same appearance as the 'text' field.

Thank you again.
regards,
seba