Sebastian-

It's hard to guess what the issue with Camping is without a little more detail.

You could achieve the same result by having Rack serve the static files, and skip Camping altogether. Something like this in your config.ru:

require 'app'
use Rack::Static, :urls => ['/static', ], :root => 'parent-of-static'
run Rack::Adapter::Camping.new(app)

Hope this helps,
BEn