On Jan 23, 2007, at 2:47 PM, S. Robert James wrote:

> Jamis Buck wrote:
>> My vision for Capistrano 2.0 is to follow the suggestions a few
>> people have offered and decouple "Capistrano-the-part-that-executes-
>> remote-processes" from "Capistrano-does-rails-deployment". The "core"
>> capistrano bit would be installable standalone, with no defaults. The
>> rails-specific bits would then depend on capistrano-core.
>
> Jamis, let me know if you see it this way at all:
>
> 1. Tools that help you write shell scripts in ruby (eg run, sudo).
> Call it MetaShell.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is the ShellScriptBuilder that
Ezra's been working on, and it does stands well on its own.

> 2. Multiple SSH.

This will be the core of Capistrano 2.0, and I do plan on it being
available as a separate gem.

> 3. Rails deployment scripts.

This will also be a separate gem, most likely, depending on both #1
and #2.

> I see #1 and #2 standing on their own.  I see #3 depending on #1, but
> only depending on #2 if you want to run it remotely.

Capistrano is not a general automation tool, it is a remote
automation tool. I want it to do that one thing well. Trying to make
it handle local calls as well as remote calls with the same API is a
murky playground, since you suddenly have to deal with how to execute
commands in Windows and interact with them programmatically. Not
something I'm interested in, frankly. However, it may be possible to
build a utility on top of Capistrano that provides a single
abstraction for executing local and remote processes. Could be an
interesting project.

- Jamis