The post I linked replaces Cap, since if you're not using an SCM you lose
most of the benefit of Cap. If you need a list of files throwing into a
tarball and uploading, on more than one machine then you need to look at
Rake+SSHKit which are two thirds of Capistrano, but Capistrano specifically
adds rollbacks, plugins for Ruby, Rails, Migrations, changelogs/etc, it's
all wasted on you if you're just doing tarball uploads though.

Lee Hambley
http://lee.hambley.name/
+49 (0) 170 298 5667