Maybe there is an obvious way to do what I'm asking, but since I don't
know it, I tried hacking up something like this. It almost works the
way I expect, until I drag a window's scrollbar. Then things run amok.

In my .emacs:

;; Don't show a stupid font context menu when shift-clicking a buffer.
(global-set-key [S-mouse-1] 'dave-shift-mouse-select)
(global-set-key [S-down-mouse-1] 'ignore)

(defun dave-shift-mouse-select (event)
  "Set the mark and then move point to the position clicked on with
the mouse.
This should be bound to a mouse click event type."
  (interactive "e")
  (mouse-minibuffer-check event)
  (if mark-active (exchange-point-and-mark))
  (set-mark-command nil)
  ;; Use event-end in case called from mouse-drag-region.
  ;; If EVENT is a click, event-end and event-start give same value.
  (posn-set-point (event-end event)))

-Dave