Hi John

If you can sample 800 MHz bandwidth, then can't you use a digitial bandpass filter to get to the lower bandwidths?

Gerry

On 3/21/2014 11:43 AM, John Ford wrote:
John

We do have switchable analog filters that define the 200, 400 and 800 MHz
bandpasses in our IF processors. So decimation in sample domain should
still work.
Yes, that's true.  In our case we want to avoid the complexity of
switching in various bandpass filters for the narrowband case.

So your point about the relatively slow 200 MHz FPGA speed is that it may
make more sense to keep the sampling clock a little higher (say 2GHz) so
that FPGA is at a higher clock rate (250 MHz), and use digital filtering
(in addition to the defined analog band) to define the bandwidths?
Yes, I think that without tweaking the clock management that you can't run
the FPGA slow enough for 200 MHz /16, and as you say, simply decimating
the output of the ADC ought to work given a reasonable clock rate, like
800 MHz.

A related question for you. For VEGAS, I thought you were  using
  ADC1x3000-8. Can it go to 3.2 GS/s? Or are you using the ASIAA ADC?
We switched mid-stream to the ASIAA ADC.  It's faster, cheaper, and has
better performance.

John

Thanks!
Gopal