Hi Adam,

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 and things seem to work as they should, as long
as you follow the instructions on that wiki page. Though not used by
the toolflow, Vivado 2014.3 officially supports ubuntu 14.04, if
that's a concern to you.

Having said that, I think if I were to go through the setup process
again, on a machine that wasn't my everyday desktop, I'd probably go
for one of the free RedHat like distros like CentOS, just to try and
minimize unforseen headaches (I've occasionally had ubuntu updates
break things, but no more seriously than going back and redoing some
of the steps in the wiki).

Good luck!
Jack