Ah,

I would guess what happens is that you have delay stages being implemented
in bram where the stage delay is fewer clock cycles than the bram latency,
causing an initialization implosion. I suspect if you changed the "minimum
delay implemented in bram" (or whatever it's called) parameter to be a bit
higher you might not get this error. But as you say, >10 is very excessive,
and I'd be surprised if it makes any difference to your timing. I think if
you open your mapped design in planahead/fpga editor you'll find that
almost all that latency is being wrapped up in a single slice as a shift
register. But hey, if it works it works :)

Jack