Hi John,

It works great! Transmit only is happily also the simplest use case.
If you're doing stuff from the powerPC which you want multicasting, I
believe you have to
invoke corr.katcp_wrapper.FpgaClient.tap_multicast_add_send(). If you only
want to multicast traffic from the FPGA (which is how I've used
multicasting) all you need to do is set the destination IP to have a
multicast address (eg. I use 224.0.2.xxx). The yellow block will then
generate the appropriate destination MAC address for multicasting -- the
rest is up to the switch.*

An aside, in case it's useful: in the design where I'm using multicast I
have disabled the CPU tx/rx capabilities, so I can't use the multicast
subscribe methods provided by the corr package. Unfortunately, I also
wanted to be able to subscribe ROACHs to the multicast streams (standard FX
architecture, with F and X engines present on each board) so I set up
static multicast routes on the Mellanox SX1012 I'm using, and manually
wrote the relevant bits of the 10GbE core so that it accepts packets with
the addresses I need. It was pleasantly simple, and seems to work nicely.
I've set all my traffic to be multicast, even though most of it only has a
single destination -- I can subscribe a linux box to a few channels for
debugging or to do things like FFT zoom mode -- but for what it's worth
with 40 x ~9GbE connections going through the SX1012, it seems just as
reliable as with unicast.

If you want I can probably throw together an example design, but I'm pretty
sure for tx only it really is as simple as setting the appropriate address.
The more involved bit is turning on the relevant switch features and
writing some software to subscribe a client at the other end. I can dig out
the incantations I used with my mellanox switch, but since I did everything
with static routes I can't be much help with dynamically subscribing
software. (But it's ONLY software -- how hard can it be?!).

Cheers,
Jack

*Just read Dave's email -- I don't think you even need to set up the ARP
table with the latest yellow block, but this is probably a route to crowbar
multicast support into an old compile.