For those of CASPERites, especially those in the US, looking to purchase FPGAs,
you might share my frustration that the price quoted by the Xilinx franchised
distributors in the US (Avnet and Digikey) doesn’t seem to decay with time or
quantity, nor it is easy in my experience to negotiate better pricing.

With some trepidation around August last year we purchased a dozen V6-SX475T in
-2 speed grade from a non-franchised distributer, to which I think I was
referred by the Octopart website.   They quoted attractive pricing for -2
parts (quite a bit less than the franchised price for -1) and a long lead time
(22 weeks).  I did some due diligence checking a few references etc, and bit
the bullet.   They substantially beat the lead time delivering in about 3
weeks, and now that the parts are assembled onto ROACH2s as best we can tell
they are functional.

So with the caveat that your mileage may vary here is a suggested vendor to
consider:

EarthTron, LLC
210 West Road, Unit 6
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Toll-free: 800-322-2130

Jason Miles
Senior OEM Sales
main    603-433-2007 Ext 126
direct  603-766-6310
fax     603-433-2007
email   jason.mi...@earthtron.com
google talk     jason.mi...@earthtron.com

Jason says the parts the supplied were sourced from Xilinx, exactly the meaning
of the term “franchised distributer” is, and the pricing policy remains a bit
of a mystery to me.

Cheers,

Jonathan