This is an issue with dash in ubuntu, if you change your shell from dash to
bash it interprets the perl scripts properly.

Have you followed these steps when setting up your tools flow?
https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/MSSGE_Setup_with_Xilinx_14.x_and_Matlab_2012b

Particularly this step:

The syntax in the Xilinx Perl scripts is not supported under the Ubuntu
default shell Dash. Change the symbolic link sh -> dash to sh -> bash:

   - cd /bin/
   - sudo rm sh
   - sudo ln -s bash sh

Wesley New