I actually didn't know that tool existed! I am trying to meet timing constraints, and I'm actually very close to do so, so I'm definitely gonna try smartxplorer. Thanks for the advise!

Franco

On 25/05/17 15:24, Michael D'Cruze wrote:
Hi Franco,

Just curious, but have you considered using SmartXplorer to assist in getting
your design to meet timing, if this is the eventual goal? Usually I find that
with a medium or large design, if I can adjust the latencies in Simulink to get
within a timing score of, say, 10000, then running smartxplorer on those
netlist files usually finishes off the job. It can take a very, very long time
though since it is a brute-force method. Most jobs for me complete within about
24hrs, however the largest design I ever tried took a full week...

Good luck
Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Franco [mailto:francocuro...@gmail.com]
Sent: 23 May 2017 20:59
To: Casper Lists
Subject: [casper] Help with PlanAhead

Dear Casper community,

I seek your wisdom once again. I was doing floorplanning to my model when I
noticed something interesting. My model has 40 vector accumulator blocks
(simple_bram_vacc). When I opened my model in PlanAhead, I noticed that all the
BRAMs of every vacc were sharing the same single counter implementation for
addressing, instead of each vacc having its independent counter. I understand
that these two implementations are equivalent because all the counters are
equivalent and can be replaced by a single one addressing all the BRAMs, but it
makes me wonder:

1)  Why this substitution happened? Was the Xilinx/EDK tools that tried to do
some optimization? Or it has something to do with the simple_bram_vacc block
implementation?

2) Isn't this implementation detrimental for routing proposes? I mean a single
counter must address 40 different BRAMs across the FPGA. (My critical paths
don't involve the counter, but they do involve a lot of vacc BRAMs with other
components).

3) What would you recommend me to increase the speed of my model? Force every
vacc to implement their own counter (if that's even possible)?
Group my BRAMs around or near the lonely counter? Something else?

As always, many thanks,

Franco Curotto