Hi Jonathon,

Your important input here warrants cc to the mailing list, hereby accomplished.

We have switched to the FSP power supplies for new builds, and have repaired
older ROACH2s a number of which have had failing XEALs (mostly) by replacing
same with FSPs.  We have I think done some prophylactic FSP replacements in
offline spare stock.  But we’ve ordered and deployed probably over 100 ROACH2s
over about a four, perhaps even five year period, they are used at SMA for
SWARM, and also distributed all over the world for the EHT.  So we have NOT
retrofitted every unit out there with FSP power supplies.

While the XEAL are known to be not reliable, when a unit is working, it's not
that straightforward to recall it for a power supply replacement—ain’t broke
don’t fix applies.

Thanks for your input. Thanks also for input from Dan, Jason, Matt and Mike,
which is valuable and relevant advice.  I was holding off on responding, we’re
at SMA running tests, and don’t yet know the resolution for the units in
question.

Jonathon’s email triggered this interim response. I’ll let all know the outcome
on the lightening damage when we have one.

Thanks,

Jonathan