Hi all.  We're interested in wideband moderate performance spectrometers.
Something that can digitize 2 (or 4) polarizations at at ~ 8 to 10 GS/s,
and provide ~4K channels, full stokes, with a moderate dump rate (1 GB/sec
or less).

We could use 8 ROACH-2/ADC-5GS VEGAS-style spectrometer blades, 2 for each
4 GHz polarization and sideband. (simultaneous upper and lower sidebands
are required)

Or we could move on to newer ADCs and processing boards, and get the full 4
GHz from each polarization in one go.  I think this is preferable, for many
reasons.

The key here, I think, is the ADCs that may have come to market (or to the
casper community) since VEGAS was built.  I know Homin Jiang and Jonathan
Weintroub's groups are working on wideband ADCs and integration with FPGA
boards.

So the questions that I am posing are:  What ADCs and hardware
configuration would you choose for a minimum-effort maximum-effect project
to be built and deployed in the near future?  What projects could we assist
with in getting the next fast ADCs developed and tested?

Is this all fodder for the CASPER workshop discussions?

John