Hi David,

Yes, it was a bit of a rabbit hole exercise, but we (between Kaj and
Peralex) worked our way through it and now debugging other issues :).

You raise a valid point. There is no reason we shouldn't port to Ubuntu
18.04LTS or higher. It makes sense with what Kaj and Peralex are
experiencing.

Please note, my team (SARAO) is baselining the SKARAB work at Ubuntu
16.04LTS. We are coming to the end of the MeerKAT development for the F and
X engines. I do believe there are those that have got the toolflow to work
on Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I know Wesley New has struggled to get the SKARAB
toolflow to work using Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I haven't tried it on my side yet.

My team's focus this year is to update the toolflow to work with Vitis and
target those Alveo boards. This will definitely involve moving to a newer
version of Ubuntu. For now that is likely to be Ubuntu 18.04LTS, Vitis
2020.2 and Vivado 2020.2.

I think this is something we should discuss at the next CASPER meeting on
the 11th Feb. We should allocate a resource for this, but SARAO is focusing
on other areas for now.

Thanks for your email :).

Kind regards,

Adam Isaacson
South African Radio Astronomy Observatory (SARAO)
Hardware Manager
Cell: (+27) 825639602
Tel:  (+27) 215067300
email: aisaac...@ska.ac.za