I've done it before, with some good results. (and some bad ones too)

The mentors willing to help is a big one... a student will probably soak up 3-4
hours a week in the first weeks as they get their feet wet. most of mine just
pinged me directly until they got the message to ping the mailing list ;-0.
open source development is dramatically different than the assignments they do
@college and it takes a bit of getting used to for them.

The projects should be smallish in nature.. they have 3 months or something to
complete it, and most of them don't work full time on it.
so if you think it would take yourself a month to do, it would be suitable for
them to do in 3.

and also you want a clearly defined deliverable at the end of it.

as for an idea. I think a complex example using cassandra as a back end would
be useful, so that others can take that project and see how to do things.

--
Ian Holsman
i...@holsman.net