Hi Jaako thanks for your response.

I compiled the very latest from 0.5 branch yesterday (whatever
yesterday nights build was). I do see that Node X.X.X.X is dead, and
Node X.X.X.X has restarted.

This show up on all the 3 other servers:
 INFO [Timer-1] 2009-12-22 20:38:43,738 Gossiper.java (line 194)
InetAddress /10.6.168.20 is now dead.

Node /10.6.168.20 has restarted, now UP again
 INFO [GMFD:1] 2009-12-22 20:43:12,812 StorageService.java (line 475)
Node /10.6.168.20 state jump to normal

This time the first time I restarted the node it seemed fine, but the
second time I restarted it, this is what cfstats is showing for
traffic on it :

                Column Family: Datastore
                Memtable Columns Count: 407
                Memtable Data Size: 42268
                Memtable Switch Count: 1
                Read Count: 0
                Read Latency: NaN ms.
                Write Count: 0
                Write Latency: NaN ms.
                Pending Tasks: 0

and then it went up and now it's back to:

          Column Family: Datastore
                Memtable Columns Count: 2331
                Memtable Data Size: 242364
                Memtable Switch Count: 1
                Read Count: 107
                Read Latency: 0.486 ms.
                Write Count: 113
                Write Latency: 0.000 ms.
                Pending Tasks: 0

which is half the traffic the other nodes are showing. The other 3
nodes are showing a consistent ~230 reads/writes per second, which
node 4 was showing before it was restarted. I hope data is not being
lost in the process?