Please see here:
http://nhforge.org/doc/nh/en/index.html#mapping-types

I'd try to make a backing private property or field of type Byte[] persisted
as BinaryBlob.
If you don't want that for design reasons, you could define a IUserType for
the PortletConfiguration class. Even better would be a nested class as if
shown here:

http://www.castleproject.org/activerecord/documentation/trunk/usersguide/nested.html

-Markus