More info:

It seems that as soon as I use a date type from the NHibernate
namespace, when I call
Juan Carlos Seguí - CAE escribió:

XmlConfigurationSource config = new
XmlConfigurationSource("nhibernate.config");

It somehow calls internally InPlaceConfigurationSource.

In InPlaceConfigurationSource.cs we can read:

/// <summary>
/// Enum for database types support for configuration construction.
/// Not to be confused by databases supported by ActiveRecord
/// </summary>
public enum DatabaseType
{
        /// <summary>
        /// Microsoft SQL Server 2005
        /// </summary>
        MSSQLServer2005,
        /// <summary>
        /// Microsoft SQL Server 2000
        /// </summary>
        MSSQLServer2000
}

So it seems that InPlaceConfigurationSource only supports MS SQL Server 2000
and 2005 dialects.

Why is the XmlConfigurationSource calling InPlaceConfigurationSource??

What am I doing wrong?