A multi-step wizard *is* a session-wide action.
1. do all steps in Ajax way, aggregating the data on the client.  not easily
supported within the MR wizard infra.
2. use session to keep data between steps.  easy, simple, scaling issues
(unless using a farm-aware session storage)
3. use cookies/hidden-fields to keep wizard state - require a bit of manual
setup

I'd usually go for 1 or 2, unless it's important to allow users to continue
the wizard later - then a session-in-short-lived-DB would make the better
option

as for validation and partial data - I'd model each step with it's own DTO
and it's own validations, and have the Complete step aggregate it into the
domain-entity-to-be-saved with it's higher level validation logic.

--
Ken Egozi.
http://www.kenegozi.com/blog