I know of at least two websites (not too small, but not too large also) that
run MR without IoC.

The reasoning behind those was resistance from Management (for the first)
and Client (for the second) to adopt more than one new concept (I'm talking
2006 here), so an MVC was more than enough for them to chew on.
Add to that my personal lack of understanding of the IoC world back then,
and you end up with applications that are not too bad, even though could
have benefited from a full featured IoC.

Ken Egozi.
http://www.kenegozi.com/blog
http://www.delver.com
http://www.musicglue.com