Access also needs some form of installation on a machine. not all windows
machines can run the Jet 4.0 engine (which is what access use).

You should be looking into SQLite in file mode. It has a good support for
NHibernate. It is not however very suitable for high concurrency but I
suspect it is not a problem in your scenario.

Not that Access is wrong or anything, but it has some quirks, and its SQL
implementation is not per the standard so you might hit a few hard-to-solve
gotchas

another option is Firebird which also has an embedded mode, and fairly good
.NET drivers.

Ken Egozi.
http://kenegozi.com/blog
http://social.sears.com