Mathieu Leduc-Hamel wrote:
> To continue the discussion about a rewrite or a cleanup of the Pypi
> codebase, I'm from Montreal-Python usergroup and I'm say that yes at the
> first the current codebase of pypi seem to be very unclear and difficult to
> maintain.
>
> But it's not an impossible mission and we are currently in the process of:
>
> - Adding functional test. The test coverage is now around 40% percent.
> - When we'll reach a more complete coverage, we want to replace the psycopg
> api by SQLAlchemy
> - Replace many manual manipulation of the metadata by a more robust and
> straightforward way of dealing with (distutils2 might be the option there)
>
> At first I was thinking about rewriting everything using the chishop project
> (an implementation of PyPi using django). But having the control of the code
> source and not dependent of any framework is maybe a better idea.
>
> More than, despite the frequent outage, pypi is working today, then just a
> modernization of code base seem to be best idea.
>
> By the wat, after a code review of tarek, a very useful thing might be to
> find a better way to deal and implement contributions coming from community.
> Right now Tarek is responsible of making the link between our effert and the
> work of Martin but we don't have any official public mirror of the source
> code and any roadmap.

You should be able to get access to the Python sandbox repository and
add your project there:

http://svn.python.org/projects/sandbox/trunk/

If that's not an option, I'd suggest you have a look at one of the
other public repo sites such as launchpad.

Note that working on PyPI needs a somewhat different development
approach since any changes will be run on a live system.

In my experience the best way to do this is by gradually changing things
(rather than introduce big structural changes such as using SA
instead of a native adapter) and keeping a close eye on the log
files for any problems.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 15 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                33 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/