P.J. Eby wrote:
> At 11:10 AM 6/18/2010 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>> page ?

>> projects

>> > I think you misunderstand. Links originate *only* from the long
>> > description. The package owner has full control over that.
>>
>> I was referring to the linked assets that the package owner
>> may not have full control over, e.g. in the above case,
>> you have links pointing to launchpad and one to "file://".
>>
>> Such links (except the file:// one) can be useful in the
>> package description, e.g. to point to a bug tracking
>> system, documentation or other resources, but they are
>> not really needed to point setuptools to download locations.
>
> This is a misunderstanding of what setuptools does.  Setuptools only
> retrieves URLs that are *specifically designated* as a "home page" or
> "download" link (using the "rel" field of the A tag on the PyPI /simple
> page), or which are a recognizable download URL supplied by way of the
> long_description.
>
> So, the risk you are describing does not actually exist.
>

>> > If you think the package owner is opening up a security threat by
>> > including the links in the first place - yes, that's indeed a risk.
>>
>> Is this feature still needed for setuptools ?
>
> Yes.
>

>> We have download URLs and homepage URLs which should be enough for
>> setuptools to search and find the links to package download files.
>
> No.  This would only be the case if the project's author had some other
> form of hosting.  For example, if you had a subversion repository for
> your development trunk, but didn't have any place to host an HTML page
> to link to it, the long_description would be the only way (AFAIK at
> present) for you to securely provide a link to that repository for
> setuptools (or humans) to use.

The author could setup the home page or download URL to point to
that repository (SVN makes the repos available as HTML pages as
well).

> See also:
>

> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#making-your-package-available-for-easyinstall
>

> and:
>
>   http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/PackageIndexAPI
>
> for more information on how the link parsing and retrieval works.
>
> It is a common misconception that setuptools spiders pages for links;
> the truth is, it only reads the "home" and "download" URLs provided via
> the PyPI metadata, and those only if they're not obviously links to a
> package tarball (or zip, egg, etc.).  All other links must visibly point
> to something downloadable, or else they're ignored.

So in summary, the /simple index page doesn't need to include
any URLs from the long_description that do not have a rel
attribute set, or end with one of the fixed set of archive extensions
or with "#egg=...".

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jun 21 2010)
2010-07-19: EuroPython 2010, Birmingham, UK                27 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/