On Aug 12, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Peter Lytle wrote:

Good afternoon - I am working on a Catalyst application that serves dynamic website content for multiple sites, and I've run into some difficulty about static content. Each website has unique static content (images, css, rss) and I am trying to serve that static content from the site's unique directory. I have found lots of documentation on how to serve all static content from a single directory, but not much on a servername-dependent directory. For example:

Request:  http://www.timjohnson.com/css/global.css
Should be served with: /var/www/html/sites/timjohnson.com/css/ global.css

I came close to making this happen just using the Alias directive in httpd.conf, but I couldn't get that to accept a variable, % {SERVER_NAME}, in it. If someone has a solution from the Apache side, that's fine but I suspect that it might be easier to do this with Catalyst::Plugin::Static::Simple, though I again have not figured out how to tell it to use a variable name when it creates the path the request is supposed to be mapped to. I am sending this to the Catalyst list because I suspect it might be something other people have faced before using Catalyst.

My setup is a recent version of Catalyst running on Apache 2.2 with mod_perl. Any suggestions would be quite welcome - thank you very much.

As has already been said, you should use Apache for this. But if you *really* want to use Static::Simple, take a look at the docs for the "Including additional directories", and in particular the incpath_generator sample code. You can write a bit of code that returns one or more directories from which to serve static content.

-Andy