On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:09 PM, pro...@gmail.com <pro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I asked this exact same question a couple of weeks ago:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk/msg08108.html. I am
> still hoping to glean some wisdom from more seasoned catalyst users on this
> list! It would be wonderful to get some ideas/guidance on
> e-commerce+catalyst.
>

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Pavel O. Korovkin <pa...@yepcorp.com>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> After looking around I've found Handel and built on top of it Mango.
>> Is there any other e-commerce modules/solutions/etc based on Catalyst?
>> Who uses Mango&Handel in their own project - can comment anything?
>> Both projects seems to be non actively developed. Is it means dead-end
>> or perfect solution? =) Well, anything on e-commerce and catalyst is
>> very appreciated!
>>

>> Regards,
>> Pavel

I've never used Handel, or really looked into it (nor Mango).  I can tell
you that most people will just roll their own ecommerce implementation, and
there are plenty of CPAN modules to make it very easy to do so.

I think the general philosophy here, or at least one that I hold, is that it
is just as easy to build your own ecommerce site with the available tools
than it would be to customize a framework-based system.  If you don't need
customization there are also plenty of tools out there to build up a
store-front.

If you do opt to go the DIY route, here are some tips for building it:
 * Use Catalyst::Action::REST for CRUD, simplifying your code by delegating
to _POST actions
 * DBIx::Class for the ORM
 * DBIx::Class::EncodedColumn for encrypting your credit card fields

Myself and gphat are working on Business::Payment, a Moose-y role based
implementation for processing credit cards.  I've written an Authorize.NET
handler that works quite well.  You can snag this from github at:

http://github.com/gphat/Business-Payment/
http://github.com/jshirley/Business-Payment-AuthorizeNet

-J