On Dec 14, 2006, at 14:09 , Øyvind Harboe wrote:

Q++: Is it a good idea to use ExtendedType to represent database null
as something else than Java null pointer?

I do not think it is a good idea in my project as I try to use "not null" as much as possible. The places where I allow null, there should be a good reason for it. It could be things like a status message that are not inserted yet or a price that are not calculated. For non-important fields like 'comment' I usually just insert "".

In a situation where you do not have control over the underlying data, converting those null values to something usable seem to be a good idea.

 - Tore.