John & I went to Ithaca this a.m.. What a gorgeous day!!!Didn't have time to do
much looking for birds but did see lots of Mallards & Black Ducks on both sides
of the lake. Found 2 female Common Mergs at Sheldrake.

Saw a great raft of Redheads on the lake, near shore, opposite Gully Rd. north
of Aurora. They were doing their usual, in-formation, swim-to-the-north then
turn & swim-to-the-south ... repetitiously, back & forth with some apparently
taking baths & splashing a lot as they flapped their wings. Wonder why? Showing
off?

Some Common Golden-eye were just beyond them when I first stopped but soon flew
northwards. Saw more Golden-eye just north of Long Point S.P. Didn't count but
saw probably 25 Turkeys feeding in a field on the west side of Rte. 90 across
from, & just south of, Rafferty Rd.. No SE owls but saw 5 Horned Larks on Long
Point Rd..

A Robin flew into the big oak tree with the huge burl at the north edge of
Aurora & I saw about 50 flying across 89 north of the Creamery. If anyone has
ever noticed the osage orange tree in the Aurora yard just south of the big
oak, I was told yesterday that it is the largest documented one in Cayuga Co..

Our Mockingbird continues to guard the cedar berries just as it did last yr..
We have at least 5 Tree Sparrows as regulars. I think maybe the Cooper's may
have cut down on the Junco & House Finch population.

More sun tomorrow? Enjoy!

Fritzie