My kids and I visited Myers Park on Monday afternoon (1:45-2:45).  One AMERICAN
PIPIT was foraging in the piles of debris on the beach.  From the private
marina, I saw what I took to be a leucistic female Mallard, which had a subtly
pale head and strikingly cream-orange wings and body.

Miyoko and the kids and I hiked the Flat Rock loop in Cornell Plantations on
Sunday morning, with a short detour first to Tower Road.  We had several
entertaining bird sightings.

*  The pair of Red-tailed Hawks building their nest on the Dodson Field light
tower, as Marty reported earlier.  We watched both birds carrying long sticks
to the nest, arriving and departing together.
*  an American Crow holding a twitching vole (Caldwell Road)
*  five Mallards facing the current in Fall Creek, paddling vigorously in place
as if on a treadmill, and dipping their heads to feed on something beneath the
surface
*  1+ Golden-crowned Kinglet and a Pileated Woodpecker along the trail

Through Sunday, the Eastern Screech-Owl has continued to appear daily in our
yard in northeast Ithaca.

Mark Chao