I heard one NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH on Friday morning east of the Woodleton Boardwalk in Sapsucker Woods. This waterthrush sounded like a typical Northern Waterthrush -- not one with the "Woodleton accent" (dip in pitch in the middle, then emphatic at the end -- very distinctive in 2001-2003, less so in recent years). I've never noticed any different-sounding Northern Waterthrushes anywhere else.

On a full circuit of the East Trail, I found no Hermit Thrushes.

Mark

----- Original Message ----- From: "Meena Haribal" <m...@cornell.edu>
To: "cayugabirdlist" <cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 9:16 AM
Subject: RE: [cayugabirds-l] Louisiana Waterthrush

About three or four years ago I found similar differences in songs of Northern Waterthrushes. All in the same location, that is Sapsucker Woods on the Dryden side of the trails.

Initially, I distinguished them by sound, then I recorded them and looked at the sonograms. I was surprised that my ears, which in the previous years could not distinguish between Northern Lousiana, but now could tell the difference between the individual Northerns was amazing to me. Definitely listening to more individuals helps!

Meena