Hi David,

We don't know if the Mallard drake in the vicinity was father to those ducklings. Perhaps he was just a casual participant in the excitement of the moment. I think the usual story is that the Mallard male defends the nest territory only until the clutch is complete, monopolizing the female until his paternity is assured, and then he retires from the scene. Interestingly, Hal Harrison writes that the male Mottled Duck (a very close congener of the Mallard) defies the usual pattern, remaining in the nest area during incubation, following the female around when she leaves to feed, etc. He speculates that Mottled Ducks may mate for life.

-Geo