I had a good day solo birding, mostly to Montezuma. Below are the highlights.

I started the day at 7am with a visit to Myers where there was a single Common Tern fishing off the point. Every time he caught something the local gulls bullied him to give it up, which was frustrating for him probably, but very entertaining for me to watch the gulls catch falling fish.

Next stop was Lake Road in Ledyard where I heard a singing Grasshopper Sparrow, but failed to get visual. There were dozens of Bobolinks there too.

At the pool by Montezuma visitor's center were Semipalmated Sandpipers and a pair of Spotted Sandpipers.

On Wildlife Drive was little of interest except a single Graylag Goose in with the Canadas.

From Tschache, I counted 135 Great Blue Herons and 8 Bald Eagles, all juveniles. A single Trumpeter Swan was there too. A couple of Black Terns showed up.

At May's Pt Pool I was surprised to find a single Redhead. What I suspect was a Sora was calling. More Black Terns were seen here.

The Knox-Marcellus overlook is the place to go to see shorebirds, but the distance and shimmer was challenging. There were between 20-30 peeps, about 6 Dunlin and one Semipalmated Plover.

Railroad Road had several calling Soras (at least 3), which was a treat because it is now a confirmed life bird for me. Also calling was a single Virginia Rail. There are many calling Marsh Wrens there, but despite my patient efforts I never caught so much as a glimpse of one.

Happy birding!

Paul