Hi All,

After seeing Chris and Jessie's Yellow-throated Warbler in the hot afternoon,
and joking about all the kites that must be flying over today, I plopped down
in a lawn chair in my front yard (Northeast Ithaca) for a sky watch -
Amazingly, among the 3 raptors I saw in about 20 minutes was a first-summer
MISSISSIPPI KITE, which flew in from the east, then circled higher and higher
and drifted off to the north towards Lansing.

The bird showed typical longish pointy wings and short triangular tail, but
appeared pretty ratty-looking, with strong "wing windows" visible against the
bright sun - definitely not an adult.

The other birds I saw were an equally ratty-looking sub-adult BROAD-WINGED HAWK
and a high-cruising TURKEY VULTURE. Birds are definitely moving!

KEN
Ken Rosenberg
Director of Conservation Science
Cornell Lab of Ornithology