The posting from Steve Fast reminded me that I had wanted to express my joy to
Cayugabirders a few weeks ago while I was in Lawton, Oklahoma (my pied-a-terre
for Wichita Mtns NWR). Finally..... a place where Common Nighthawks are
thriving. And where could this place be? The parking lot of the local, and
vast, Walmart!! There at dusk, dozens of nighthawks flew around making their
nasal calls and snapping up the numerous insects attracted to the bright
parking lot lights, which stay on all night and which in another frame of mind
I would quite loathe!

As an aside, in the daytime, the fences around Walmart and the big piece of
open ground adjacent to it made great foraging perches for Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers. INteresting to see them dodge the traffic.

Now I'm in the Mono Lake Basin, CA, on a photo trip until early July!
Bye for now
Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road